Bursting onto the scene at a mere 17 years of age with his song Paracetamol (about a transgender girl who had to undergo conversion therapy) he was all about an indie-boy mop top look at first.
Now, at 23, he has developed even more as a musician (he’s just played Glastonbury) and is clearly more comfortable with his style, too, hence his hair is getting edgier and he’s playing around with makeup, too.
MFH is intrigued to see how he experiments with his look as he grows more in confidence as a performer…
- Declan McKenna’s wavy modern mullet with undercut is a strong look – so it’s not one to go for if you’re not feeling sure, or confident.
- There’s texture and length on the top and sides while the back is collar length.
- To give it that mullet shape, the sides of the hair have an undercut.
- Mullets might be marmite, but there are so many different styles you can go for, whether you’re after an extreme look like Declan’s or Olly Alexander / Harris Dickinson, or you’d rather a more subtle look like this wavy mullet.
- To style Declan McKenna’s wavy modern mullet with undercut it’s about making the most of the natural waves and movement in the hair.
- Use a tennis ball size of volumising mousse on damp hair. Then spritz it with some sea salt spray to give it some grit.
- You can either ruffle it as it dries naturally, or blow dry it, while tousling it with your hands.
- In between shampoos? Dry shampoo will give it some texture – simply spray throughout on the roots, then tousle the hair.