A little bit punk, a little bit grunge, it’s very much a ‘roll outta bed and go with it’ hairstyle.
His hair in The Sandman, however, took a bit more effort.
In an interview with Netflix’s Tudum, veteran makeup and hair ‘designer’, Graham Johnston, explained a little more about Tom’s more gothic look.
“To me, it was a sort of slightly new romantic goth feel to him.
“And the main thing was his hair.
“What I wanted to do was give a sort of unreal look to it, but also a look that would be acceptable moving amongst mankind — so that he can be striking but not out of place.
“It’s a LOT of hair products. We had a session with Tom where I sat down and was like Edward Scissorhands attacking the hair,” Graham explained.
- Tom Sturridge’s choppy, textured hairstyle with low fade might look a bit DIY, but it’s still important to go to a professional, not do it yourself.
- Tom’s hair has a low fade at the sides which have a subtle undercut vibe.
- It looks as if the hair at the back has been tapered tightly at the nape.
- There’s around an inch of hair left on top.
- The stylist will need to skillfully chop into the hair to layer it, which will allow ease of styling.
- As they style it in the salon, ask them to give you a how to so you can recreate the look at home.
- Also ask what products they use and how/when to apply.
- Tom Sturridge’s choppy, textured hairstyle with low fade is all about the styling products.
- Use products on your hair that give it a bit of grit and texture – for example you could use sea salt spray, texture sprays, matt clay – whatever you like best – to give it some oomph and staying power.
- Then roughly blow dry your hair on medium heat.
- Gently pull the hair up with your fingers as you blow dry it.
- You can also add some volume powder when it’s dry to which’ll boost thickness, texture and add height.
- When it’s dry, run a small amount of matt clay through afterwards, pulling random bits of hair out
- Finish off with some light hold hairspray.
- You can also use dry shampoo for extra grit on the days when you don’t wash it.
- This is about having fun messing around with the texture and different products and seeing what works best.