Always experimental with his hair, this Lil Nas X high-top twist is one of his more understated styles. We like that his fade is subtle, but the meticulous hairline detail makes it a strong look.
We give it a gold star for wearability and cool factor – plus it’s a great, protective style for afro-textured hair.
Depending on how well you look after them, your twists can last around 2-8 weeks before you have to get them re-done (or do them again yourself).
- Request a high-top cut with a traditional fade (or you can go for a more extreme fade if you want – do some research before you go) with hairline precision.
- Get a two-strand twist all over so that they sit upwards.
- You need to keep your twists hydrated and clean but avoid drying out your hair and stripping out your natural oils – so aim to wash it around once a week.
- Avoid shampoos with SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) as these are known to dry out the hair.
- Mix the shampoo with some water in your hands then apply to the roots only. As you rinse it out, let the shampoo flow through to the ends. Or you can co-wash – use a product that both cleans and conditions.
- Before bed, try using products with natural oils on the tips of your hair strands to protect and seal in the moisture
- Wear a head wrap (or even a durag, as long as it’s not too tight) and use a silk pillowcase to protect your hair further when you sleep – it’s not just for the women in your life!