Did you know that by 2050, there will be more plastic than fish by weight in the sea? Well, Kevin Murphy are making moves with their packaging to hopefully help change this shocking fact.
You have probably seen various documentaries that have highlighted the worrying issue of the amount of plastic that is floating around our oceans. It is extremely encouraging to see more of the top brands making changes to help improve this awful situation. Something we probably take for granted, is the packaging design of all our favourite products and as much as we love them, a lot of them end up in landfill.
One of Man For Himself‘s favourite grooming brands, Kevin Murphy, is taking a huge leap in sustainability and has decided to move away from virgin resin, and introduces Ocean Waste Plastic.
WATCH THE VIDEO INTERVIEW
What Is Ocean Waste Plastic?
Ocean Waste Plastic (O.W.P) is plastic that has been collected from the oceans, rivers and beaches and recycled into a new form.
By removing the wasted plastic from the water, it is not only helping save the lives of marine animals, but also preventing humans from consuming it from within fish. O.W.P can reduce the total amount of plastic in the world.
If we don’t change our behaviour, the current issue could triple in size over the next 10 years. Kevin Murphy explained at the launch that brands should be taking responsibility for their actions and their choice in materials, hence their move.
Kevin Murphy is working with Pack Tech, who are innovators in professional packaging, to clean up the oceans and create their new boxes and bottles.
Is OWP Clean And Safe To Use?
Absolutely. Pack Tech have done numerous tests on the material and found that after the waste plastic is rinsed and washed, it is just as clean as virgin resin.
What is also great about it is that it can be recycled again. Kevin Murphy’s new packaging will all be 100% recyclable. So, as long as you recycle your plastic bottles correctly, it shouldn’t end up back in the ocean again.
Kevin Murphy’s Aim
- One of his main aims is to educate people about the current issue of plastic in the world and also about recycling. If we can all make one small change, it can have a big impact on the world and our oceans today.
- Kevin Murphy also personally wants his customers to make an active change. Altering our mentality about using and wasting plastic at home, can encourage others around us to change their thought process too.
- There has been some scepticism with the reasoning behind the move of some large brands into sustainability, as it has been questioned over whether it is a marketing ploy. This is not the case with Kevin Murphy and he guarantees this is a genuine move to help improve the health of the planet.
- Kevin Murphy will remove 360 tons of ocean waste plastic from out oceans each year, which equates to 14.6 million water bottles rescued.
- “This change is for the future of our environment and for us to be truly sustainable – to clean up our oceans for the sake of our planet and for future generation.” – Kevin Murphy.