I used to be such a size snob – thinking the bigger the quiff the better.
I’ve ditched the quiff* and I’m now rocking the sleek and glossy comb over.
It’s a more mature look and it’s totally versatile. It’s great for work (it looks smart), it’s perfect for a night out (it lasts all night) and it’s all-weather (even the rain and wind can’t mess up this bad boy!). What’s also great about this style is that it’s quick and easy to create and it doesn’t require any direct heat – meaning that it won’t damage or break your hair.
Some people would suggest using a gel to create this look, but I much prefer a wax. Gel can be messy and it’s really not ideal during the British winter (do you really want wet gel running down your face during a freak rain/hail storm?). Wax, however, provides structure and is extremely durable in all weather conditions.
What you need to create the perfect comb over:
- Medium-length hair. The more length, the bigger the comb over!
A wax-based styling product – my product of choice is Kevin Murphy’s Gritty Business. Priced at around £16, it won’t break the bank, it lasts a really long time and it has a lovely glossy finish.
- A comb – doesn’t have to be expensive. One with both a wide and fine tooth end works perfectly. Plastic can be washed.
- Hairspray (optional).
- Ensure that your hair is clean and dry. It can be slightly damp, but should be – at least – towel dry.
- Warm a small amount (about the size of a 10p piece) in the palms of your hands.
- Work through the length of your hair – from root to tip. Ensure that all your hair is covered. If you don’t have enough product in your hair, just add more!
- Use a comb to create a side parting.
- Comb your hair from the side of the parting to the other. I like to comb my hair back slightly as it adds more volume to the style.
- Use the end of the comb to ensure that the parting stays in place and use it to push any fly-aways into place.
- When you’re happy with the style, you can use hairspray to fix.
- Voilà, you’re done.
If you’re a fan of this look, or have any comments, please leave them below.
Check out some of these sleek comb over looks:
*Okay, so maybe I’m not totally over my massive quiff… but a new hair product and a comb are a pretty good change for me!
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded