06 Oct DIY Dry Shampoo | Stop Washing Your Hair!
This is a really quick, easy and inexpensive DIY to make your very own dry shampoo.
Washing your hair with shampoo too often can be bad for your hair. It strips it of its natural oils and can leave it susceptible to environmental damage.
Dry shampoo is a great way to cleanse your hair without the need to wash – ultimately strengthening it.
DIY dry shampoo ingredients
- Corn starch (3 tablespoons) – this will help to absorb excess oil from your scalp and hair.
- Baking soda (1 tablespoon) – this cleanses the hair as a shampoo and softens the hair as a conditioner. It also cuts down on the dirty smell.
- Cocoa powder or cinnamon (1 tablespoon). If you’re brunette, you’ll need unsweetened cocoa powder. This helps to keep the natural colour of your hair; and if you’re a red head, you can use something like cinnamon. If you’re blonde, you’ll not need colouring but can add a few drops of essential oils for smell.
Utensils you’ll need
- A mixing jug
- Tablespoon to measure
- A funnel
- Container to store your dry shampoo in. I’m using a salt shaker that I picked up from a pound shop.
DIY dry shampoo method
- Measure 3 tablespoons of corn starch into your jug.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Finally add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder if you’re brunette or cinnamon if you’re a red head. For blondes, you can add in an essential oil like peppermint, if you like.
- Mix this all up in the bowl.
- Funnel your mixture into your container.
And that’s it, your very own dry shampoo!